Tuesday, July 9, 2013

day(s) at the museum(s)

I woke up early and raced to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art to absorb as much as I could before they closing their doors for the next 2.5 years as they expand. I was surprised to see a line had already formed for The Clock viewing with over one hundred people in line and it wasn't even 8 AM yet. I joined the line and after a long wait I was lucky enough to be one of the last few people allowed in the theater for the 24 hour viewing of the 24 hour long movie. I stayed until close to noon before leaving to recharge and keep my tummy from rumbling. I was given a clock stamp on my hand to allow me to take a 15 min break before waiting for another person to leave the theater so I could step back in. I opted to let everyone else experience the movie and explore the rest of the museum in the last 48 hours. I had a piece of Rothko toast at the rooftop sculpture garden, most of the sculptures have already been placed around the city, but the "Please do not touch the artwork"stencil remains. The figure by Jenny Saville was a commanding presence in the room and I kept coming back to this piece. While some visitors stayed all day and through the night with the museum open for 24hours as the countdown continued... I went home and then came back for one more visit before they turned off the lights
with my second day in a row at SF MOMA, this time with a friend, but still a little bit faster we raced around taking in favorites before I raced to the De Young Museum for the final day of the Dutch Paintings exhibit with the Girl with a Pearl Earring by Johannes Vermeer as the central piece where eager museum visitors where lined up to take a peak at through thick glass. The floral and food still life pieces are my favorite. Lucky for me the rest of the museum was pretty empty so I took advantage of the quiet space to reflect on the art, even Rothko was alone, which seems to never happen at MOMA. After so many hours between two museums I was seeing similarities/art everywhere. I strolled through the rose garden, and ambled through the Union Street Festival before walking past pretty tiles and sidewalk chalk notes for a garage sale that looked more like inspirational art on the steep SF hills before making my way home

No comments:

Post a Comment