Sunday, October 12, 2014

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass


Bike parking always makes me smile and it's the first thing I see before entering the festival. 
There's always an abundance of tasty bites. I almost caved and ordered a turkey corn dog or crab and garlic fries, but I picked Gerard's paella and it got me through the day.That's the amazing Chris Isaak in a sparkly suit walking from the main stage through the crowd to sound tent to perform for those way back in the field. 
This guy above is so inspiring and yes, awesome. I met this fella yesterday on my way to see Chris Isaak. He pointed at me and said, "you're awesome", his energy is infectious and he shared a little more about himself. His name is David Trudy, he just came back from his third tour in Afghanistan and now he's homeless in Berkeley, CA. He told me he came to the festival to hear some music and maybe meet some people and but did he ever. After seeing someone else with this sign early Saturday he approached them and they let him hold it and he continued to for the next six hours telling people they're awesome. The original sign owner told him he should have the sign and he kept up with his mission for another three hours by the time I met him. He said he never expected to meet so many people. I left the festival thinking about this guy and was thrilled to see him again today. Spirits still high and with fewer people around we were able to chat a little more. I learned that he's on a few waiting lists including one for housing that should place him in nine months. He said he'll be able to keep his spirits up until then. I hope you were able to meet this kind soul at the festival.
Huge thanks to the Hellman family for keeping the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival going




No comments:

Post a Comment